Tell me more!
Gladly. But first we need to talk about ad servers. Ads can be served via Bucksense in two different ways:
- Advertisers can upload their ads to the Bucksense platform and Bucksense will serve it.
- Advertisers can serve ads using their own ad server.
Cool! But what is an Ad Server?
An ad server is a platform that stores ad information, delivers the ads to the relevant websites and tracks the clicks and performance of ads. Additionally, an ad server can display certain ads to certain users based on predefined criteria – This is where Ad Tags come in.
So, what exactly are Ad Tags?
Great Question! Simply put, Ad Tags are pieces of code, that when set up in an advertiser’s ad server, give the advertiser control over what creatives are shown to what users.
Yes! With Ad Tags you can dynamically select creatives based on targeting criteria before the click, resulting in:
- Better Creative Control: Update, change and test creatives from your own ad server, as you see fit.
- Better Optimization Control: Determine which user sees what creative and on which placement.
- Better Data Control: Use your own reporting to gain insights on the performance of all your ad campaigns.
How does it work?
For example, an Ad Tag can:
- Show different creatives dependent on the parameters such as the user’s geographic location.
- Tell the browser to expand a creative when the user places the cursor over the banner.
Can I use Ad Tags on all my campaigns?
Of course! Managing multiple ad campaigns can be complex and time-consuming. Ad Tags allow advertisers to centralize the creative management on their ad server, thus giving them more control over their ad operations and making their campaign setup process much easier. However, to maintain quality standards and prevent ad fraud, Bucksense manually reviews all Ad Tags before they can go live.
Thats awesome! How do I set up and track Ad Tags with Bucksense?
Tracking clicks for an ad campaign is vital for measuring performance and effectiveness. Although not mandatory, we strongly recommend that you track clicks on the Bucksense console, even if you are using your own 3rd party tracking system or Ad Tags. To set up Bucksense tracking, simply insert the provided Bucksense click tracking and cache busting macros in the code. These parameters need to be added to let our system know if your campaigns are being served correctly and performing. Learn more on our wiki page!